Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Excellence

I sometimes like to think about how committed to excellence I am, and here is what I have come up with. I am not committed to excellence. I am committed to "good enough to get the job done well, but not waste time with things that will not make a big difference." I get really tired of hearing how everyone is committed to excellence all the time, but then has just so-so products anyway. I really think that if I was committed to excellence, I would be able to do far less than I currently do. In my job, If I was committed to excellence, I would get probably half of what I get done, done. In leading worship, if I was committed to excellence, I would probably spend 10+ hours on picking out music, practicing, and finding just the right scripture to go along with things. In my school work, if I was committed to excellence, I would spend that full 12 hours a week on homework that they recommend. In my piano lessons, if I was committed to excellence, I would spend time each week coming up with new and exciting ways to teach my kiddos what they should be learning each week. In my housework, if I was committed to excellence (aka a clean house), I would spend 2+ hours a day on making sure things are clean and tidy. The only thing I think I am truly committed to excellence in is my relationships with my husband and baby. They are pretty much the only things I think are worth the time and effort to be truly excellent for. My students will get by with 90%. My job will get by with 90%. My church will get by with 90%. My family needs 100%, and by golly, I think I'll give it to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment